About Me

My photo
I'm currently on a bit of a world tour to learn about other cultures and ecosystems... Feel free to leave a comment or recommendation or say hello

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Last few days of France

Hello!

The last few days in France allowed me to see some things that i have always wanted to see...
First in Paris I went to the Pere Lachaise cemetary to visit Jim, who is not an unknown soldier as his name is on his tomb.But it was a little cloudy when i was there and i went ba bike so I was riding on the storm...and when i got to the cemetary gate I broke on through to the other side...although not like someone i know who actually did break in :)




















For my last weekend, my gracious hostess Lucie accompannied me to the town of Troyes which has a rich history dating back to mideival times...It has alwas been something i wanted to see and it was awesome!



















Old buildings and narrow steets...



















There were similar charachters looking out at you all over the place!














Troyes had some great churches and cathedrals, here is a walkway in one of the chirches that must have taken years to carve....We also met a man carving a statue, it is incredible the amount of effort that goes into it...he was doing one half a meter high that he said takes about a month, i cant begin to fathoim how hard this peice was to make!














At the museum of Troyes I met up with my favourite princess! Although she has looked better!















At the info center i figured to ask if there was any Jewish history in Troyes, more as a joke than anything and it turns out that there is... A dude called Rashi came from there....He is a very famous scholar from about 900 years ago... His commentaries on the chumash and talmud are daily reading... (for some people)
so here is his synagogue...




























I wanted to bring Lucie for Havdallah, the ceremony ot end the Sabbath, and it was also the beginning fo succot....unfortunately they had no candles or spices but we did eat some good fruit and nuts oin the succah after a very weird mincha ma'ariv ceremony...I dont think there was a rabbi around and the man leading the service kept looking to the congregatiuon for the page numbers...It was also sepphardic so i was a little lost, but it was fun none the less...The next morning I went to one and a half masses with Lucie...The one we plannned on goign to in the Cathedral...very someber singing and then we went to visist another chirch that was finishing up mass and it was more jovial, people more into it, whole other world for me.... I still hae yet to eat Jesus...
Here I am listening to an audio guide...we spent several hours walking around Troyes with these things on our ears, and it was lits of fun....




















mmm... Lunch















Thanks again Lucie... :)
Next Stop..Swiss Alps!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You need new crocs! want me to send you? Because the soles rub out and then their not as comfy, look for new ones!
I like your Doors references!