About Me

My photo
I'm currently on a bit of a world tour to learn about other cultures and ecosystems... Feel free to leave a comment or recommendation or say hello

Friday, March 21, 2008

Ruins and camping in Palenque

Howdy!

Today is Friday and should be quite an interesting one. After finishing here I plan to head to the ruins for the mayan equinox celebration. It is going on all day and there was traffic backing up the road already this morning when I headed to town. So there is the potential of there being just too many people to get anywhere close! After that, there is a 3 day music festival starting.

For the past few days I have been taking it easy, chilling out and reading, and touring Palenque. I walked trough some of the neighbourhoods, where the roads were dirt and chickens were running around. I received big smiles from everyone I passed and got surprised looks from the children, like why are you out here, but not malevolent. I would stick out my tongue, and they would giggle.

The main town has many small shops and restaurants, like where I had breakfast today. I have yet to find a camping store, as I could use some more tent pegs. After never loosing any and finding 2 extras, I have lost 4 in one day!

The ruins are about 1200 years old give or take, and were made by a succesion of fathers and sons. Some of the murals are still intact and there is plenty to see. One of the coolest parts was when the monkeys started screaming! They sound like pigs being slaughtered! I looked up and after much searching, expecting to find giant guerillas, I saw a small monkey the size of a baby human! Wow can they roar!

There is a hike that takes 2 hours through the jungle that will take you to some more ruins. I hape to be able to do that one soon. The cvines were realy cool...a la Tarzan! These 2 girls saw me about to take a picture and decided to be in it...
!
The Hole to nowhere! (or a staircase) my Tent in the campground

No comments: