About Me

My photo
I'm currently on a bit of a world tour to learn about other cultures and ecosystems... Feel free to leave a comment or recommendation or say hello

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mexican Trance Party

On Friday I decided that it was too much to try to make it to the ruins
so I slowly packed up from El Panchan and headed by taxi to the party....(Zuvuya 3)

I got out at the gate and bought a ticket for 350 pesos that was for 3 days of camping and the musica! Firstly I needed to find a spot for my tent in the dark, there were a few fields to chose from with a couple trees in each one.... shade being very necessary out here. So avoiding piles of cow poo I hopped along from tree to tree to find the best one. In the end I found a group of people in the only near forested area around and made camp. They were a couple Israelis and a couple other folks.

The party started slow and built momentum. The music got progressively better over the weekend, and almost hit on that perfect note of psychedelic trance but seemed to just miss it. Some of the DJs loved hanging onto the mixer with dear life, like they were waterskiing, and could not stop playing with all the buttons and nobs. Their sets were very choppy, but by the second day the hired djs must have started, culminating with some rockin beats sunday morning. There were fire dancers, faeries, dancing children, jugglers, princesses, super tatooed feathered stompers, hippies, and many a person visiting the sky with Lucy. I had forgotten that beautiful and at the same time awful smell of the hippy. It was a pleasant reunion. People were set up to make food, I had some great cake made out of mostly fruit, and some chocolate banana crepes made by Maria in the crepe stand.... (in pic)
For me the best part of a party of such genre is usually dancing through the sunrise and into the day. For the first time I was happy when the morning was cloudy because dancing in the sun is very energy consuming here. The view from the dancefloor was incredible, with one of the ruins visible in the surrounding mountains. (pic)

On the last day, I found out that there was still gong to be music that night and the party went till noon on Monday! So more dancing! Just afdter sunrise the rain came and it was a great and refreshing way to head towards the end of the music, everyone going nuts and getting wet!

After many hours of deep breathing and crazy
dancing (the best and most fun meditation I have yet to find) I paked up my gear and huddled in my tent for a break in the rain to take it down quickly and pack it away.
That being done I luckily squeezed into a cab and made it back to El Panchan to get a room and takea shower.

I didn´'t get many pics of the party cause it sucks to dance with a camera, but there is the dancefloor at night, the view during the day, adns ome other people camping out. Soon I will be heading somewhere new, until then...












3 comments:

jonsol said...

Hey Mike!
Just checking out your blog, I noticed the beatles reference :).
Looks like you're having a blast on your travels.

Jessica said...

What the hell! How did Jon see this before me!!!!
I was just going to show him the reference!

jonsol said...

Hhahahha I beat ya to it!