About Me

My photo
I'm currently on a bit of a world tour to learn about other cultures and ecosystems... Feel free to leave a comment or recommendation or say hello

Saturday, March 15, 2008

More of Tulum

Hello! Good Shabbos!

Well I managed to stay on that lovely beach in Tulum for while! I am just leaving today...tonight! The man at the bus station assured me the other day that there will be buses to my next destination all day today. Of course when I packed up early and headed into town he tells me the only buses are at 8:15 and 10:45 tonight! So I have 8 hours to kill, and I dont have the will to go back to the beach, although that may change in a while!

The beach has been fun, seen the sunrise almost every day for the last week, and went to bed really early. The moon is a crescent, and the stars are still bright!

For food I have been living off of guacamole and one meal a day in a restaurant plus or minus a couple bananas and my 5 litre bottle of dihydrogen monoxide. I make the guac with my spork, and mix in tomato, garlic, onion and lots of lime.

In the restaurant I am usually eating Frijoles, arroz, y salada, y beber a fruitas mixta, which may not transalte directly to, but ends up with me getting; Beans, rice, salad, and a fruit smoothy. The best has been in a colorful place that seems to be popular with taxi drivers but not tourists. There it is 30-40 pesos, depending on if I am eating with a local or not. That is 3-4 bucks. It also comes with tortillas, and the same meal up the street could be 10 bucks. Thanks to Gualberta for that place. He works at the campground and has been lots of fun to talk too.

The beach I am living on as well as the next 100km of coastline are prime drop off points for Columbian drug dealers. The army patrols the shores regularly, at all hours of the day, and every local has a story about how either him or someone he knows has found a large bag of cocaine on the beach! Gualberto (in the photo) who watches the campground at night has told me on two mornings that he saw boats at night flicking lights just over the reef, about half a kilometer out to sea!! He's also shared many interesting and wild stories that could probably be made into a best selling book with a little work.


For my spanish education, I am no longer walking around saying ´I have dollars´, I am now saying ´I want to drink a beer, do you want beer. I will pay, no you will pay´.

Tonight I am heading to Palenque, and everyone I say this too says ´Holy Shit man, you´re going to love it!!´ So I am looking forward to it although I have no idea what to expect.

I do know that there is a chance to go hiking there, and that is the one thing missing from my trip so far... It is great to know a countrie´s populated areas, but I love getting into the bush! I´m waiting on an email to find out about possible trails...

As well there are two equinox celebrations I plan to attend, one at some ruins, which is a traditional Mayan celebration for the equinox, as now days will comtinue to get longer until summer! After words there is a music festival all weekend!

Not sure what the computer service is like there...

I have been trying to upload a video for 3 hours and am getting sick of waiting although catching up on some news and other stuff.... I wish the man knew the bus schedule better, afte all he works for the company! But my wait is over half done... soon I will have my last meal for now in Tulum and be on my way!
This is a street in Tulum....


Until Later....

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Im glad you are using the spork!