About Me

My photo
I'm currently on a bit of a world tour to learn about other cultures and ecosystems... Feel free to leave a comment or recommendation or say hello

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sivananda Kutir

For 2 years I have wanted to visit the Sivananda ashram on the banks of the ganges and I finally got my chance.  I was quite lucky as they had a course going on (that has a year waiting list) and they usually don't accept guests at that time.  I had happened to e-mail my teacher from Canada who happened to be teaching the course in India and he invited me to come and participate in most of the classes.  It was a fun experience and I got to have lots of training, daily meditations, philosophy lectures and some of the best food I had on my whole trip...
 
I thought the bridges in Rishikesh were unique (for the language police, yest I know 2 bridges can't be unique but I hope you got the meaning...) but it turns out there are many such bridges crossing the river all the way along...
 Here is my favorite bovine we passed on several silent walks...when they thought we were too full of energy for sitting meditation...

Here are the cooks...the one on the right is also a priest and they are super hard working and super kind...I learned a lot just watchign them work...they didn't stop but were always content...
My karma yoga was to do the dishes... I got to know them very intimately over the three weeks I was there...Towards the end I got promoted and chopped lots of veggies as well.
Three weeks of yoga was just what I needed and was hoping for and it was great to do.  The course was full of people from around India and the world that made it extra special and it was also proof that if you ask for something, no matter how unlikely it can happen...

No comments: